BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE
(c) "Legal document assistant" means:
(1) Any person who is not exempted under Section 6401 and who provides, or assists in providing, or offers to provide, or offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing himself or herself in a legal matter, or who holds himself or herself out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This paragraph does not apply to any individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
(d) "Self-help service" means all of the following:
(1) Completing legal documents in a ministerial manner, selected by a person who is representing himself or herself in a legal matter, by typing or otherwise completing the documents at the person's
(2) Providing general published factual information that has been written or approved by an attorney, pertaining to legal procedures, rights, or obligations to a person who is representing himself or
herself in a legal matter, to assist the person in representing himself or herself. This service in and of itself, shall not require registration as a legal document assistant.
(3) Making published legal documents available to a person who is representing himself or herself in a legal matter.
(4) Filing and serving legal forms and documents at the specific direction of a person who is representing himself or herself in a legal matter.
(e) "Compensation" means money, property, or anything else of value.
(f) A legal document assistant, including any legal document assistant employed by a partnership or corporation, may not provide any self-help service for compensation, unless the legal document
assistant is registered in the county in which his or her principal place of business is located and in any other county in which he or she performs acts for which registration is required.
(g) A legal document assistant may not provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation to a consumer about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms, or
strategies. A legal document assistant shall complete documents only in the manner prescribed by paragraph (1) of subdivision (d).